Wednesday, November 2, 2022

We moved the beams out of the old barn. After a quick power-wash we let them dry and then applied a layer of Thompson water seal. Since they will be mostly covered by the deck, the beams hopefully won’t experience much water except near the ends and they’ll be elevated so they’ll hopefully dry out quickly anyway.

antique barn beams after being power washed and sealed

Dad also acquired an extremely large drill bit it was time to see how feasible drilling all the way through the tree actually was. It wasn’t easy but he made it through.

Drilling a hole all the way through our first support tree

Then came the issue of running the beams through the trees. After taking turns on the sledge we managed to get the beam through.

Now we just need to do that 3 more times.